Monday, March 17, 2008

Traveling Mercies

To be honest, I've read several books since I've read this one, and have forgotten to post on any of them. Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott, I would characterize as the story of her faith journey. She is very forthright in this book, you get to see the good and bad in her life and she doesn't candy coat any of it. This is definitely not your typical Christian Bookstore fare (Some of the four letter words probably got it banned). I personally could relate to much of her background, given my background and family, so I really enjoyed the story of her faith journey, and enjoyed reading about some of the insights that she gained along the way. Life can be hard, and Anne definitely has been right in the middle of some very painful situations. A close friend dying of cancer, and one of her son's playmates diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis just to name a few.

There are a few quotes in the book that she is known for. One of them being, "Unforgiveness is like eating rat poison, and waiting for the rat to die". Beyond that, I think I'll leave the rest for you to discover for yourself, should you dare to read it :-).

1 comment:

Kent said...

I've got to read this again. I so enjoyed Traveling Mercies. I laughed my butt off and cried like a baby all at the same time. Anne certainly lets her uniqueness shine through her life.