Friday, November 03, 2006

Deja Vu

One of my strongest early memories is the first time I experienced deja vu. I was looking out my grandmother's apartment window saw 2 people crossing the parking lot and realized that I had seen this before in a dream. Over the years I had come to dismiss this and a couple of other times I experienced deja vu as just some freaky copy error in my brain that only made me think I had 2 separate memories of the same event, but the deja vu that I experienced a couple of weeks ago is a little harder to explain.

My mother had come into town to help me watch the kids while my wife was in Thailand on a mission trip. She was getting ready to take 2 of my kids to a carnival at their school and was asking me some questions about the carnival when the deja vu hit, only this time I recognized it before it was over! I knew what she was going to ask next, and I was tempted to blurt out the answer before she asked it, but then it wouldn't be deja vu any more would it? So I waited to see if I was really right about the next question. Then it came, "How long is the Carnival?" I was right! How do I explain that? Copy error + lucky guess? A lucky guess doesn't adequately explain why I 'remembered' her question before she asked it. I don't know what to think about this one.

Cue Twilight Zone theme.....

No comments: