Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Inauthentic

I was reading "Dear Church, letters from a disillusioned generation" this morning and came across a quote in the book that really resonated with me:
"Twentysomethings don't want 'the victorious Christian life,' they want to be allowed to struggle. When the pastor, the Sunday school teacher, or the Bible study leader speak (week after week) about how things ought to be without telling the church how badly they themselves have blown it, young adults write them off as inauthentic."
Mike Sares, Pastor at Scum of the Earth Church -- quoted in 'Dear Church'

Though I'm not a twentysomething, I definitely share that same view these days. But I have to confess that there was a time in my life when I thought that everyone in the congregation was really living the 'victorious Christina life', except me. By that I mean that I thought that I was the only one who struggled, and had doubts. These days however, I know better; most just hide it well. My wife and I have referred to the people who hide it well as "Happy Plastic People", but now I'm beginning to wonder if that is just a bit unfair; they are following the lead of their pastors or teachers after all. Maybe they only act that way because few dare to teach them how to live an authentic life in Christ, how to struggle, and how your doubts can actually be a springboard into a deeper walk with Christ.

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm daring to be authentic; I'm daring to look to Jesus rather than look to the congregation; some think I'm crazy, but I can't seem to get this great old hymn out of my head....

"Though none go with me, I still will follow...."

No comments: